Sunday, February 18, 2007

Tides 'a turnin'...or my personal apology to Ms. Italia

So, after an incredibly shitty Friday, things have shifted on the up and up...can I get an A-MEN?!

Sometimes, I do believe one needs to rant/exorcise/break-down if you will, to get to the other side...

I awoke Saturday to a sunny, veramente bella giornata. It seemed that whatever Italia was givin' me the week before, well, she had plans to make it up to me today. I felt bad, Ms. Italia, as I had scorned you so on my Friday post. But, I'm glad that we kissed and made up because I did remember some of the reasons why I loved you & still do...

I will count the ways...

1) Sunny, warm February days with the sea sparkling below
2) The perfect cappucino by my excellent local barista - Enrico from Bar Pina
3) Mimmo catching word in the piazza that Pasquale (the best fisherman in Monte di Procida) was coming back from sea this afternoon & jetting down to the pier at Aquamorta to await his little boat and find his catch with the rest of the locals gathered who also got word
4) Taking a walk along the path where I can look out onto our boat, Procida, & Ischia in the background
5) Seeing Dr. Leonardo Coppola in the piazza (who seriously is my own personal savior right now...I need to devote an entire post to Leonardo soon to explain why) and getting my blood work tests back from him, right there in his car, to hear "Tutto o.k.!," with much relief
6) Having a long leisurely lunch with Mimmo in our home on a Saturday with fresh fish, spaghetti with seafood - none of which I even lifted a finger to cook

I also got a couple helpful emails from people on the Expats in Italy site, giving me suggestions for speeding up my permesso problem along with an email from the woman who originally posted - my fellow pregnant Americana in Napoli - that was not only helpful, but made me laugh at some of our similarities...she also gave me good tip on where to get El paso taco chips, guacamole, & salsa here :-). I talked to my own mamma and Tsilli and am just starting to find new community on the blog thing, here...included with the new, a reconnection with the old...Tracie B.! Who, if you haven't already discovered, you must go to her blog 'cuz it's dang good!:

http://mylifeitalian.blogspot.com

But, the topper of it all my friends, is that guess who came by and gave an early visit this morning?! The polizia at 9:00 am! How, you're asking is this a good thing?! Well, it's not just a good thing, it's a near miracle! I have been waiting for my permesso di soggiorno to be processed (my paperwork for making me totally legit and able to get free healthcare here in Italy) for much too long. The process had been stalled because we've been waiting for the police to come by our home to check & make sure that Mimmo and I are indeed co-habitating together. This is whole 'nother story, but in short, the process has been frustrating and also anxiety-provoking. This is an important step because as soon as that's done, my permesso can be processed, I can then apply for residency, & then get my card that allows me to get health care free! Mimmo & I were sleeping when we heard the doorbell ring & Mimmo said "Don't answer it," assuming that it was Clotilda, our 70-something-old neighbor who, although seems like a sweet little old lady, can be, well, pessante. After several rings & our alarm going off, I was already awake & thought, I'll just have a look out the peephole. I saw a police man start to make his way from our door down the stairs, and immediately opened the door. I have never been so happy to see a policeman in my life! So...yes...it seems the tides are turnin....Grazie dio!

Today is carnevale in Monte di Procida and although the weather's not looking so good, I hope to get some good pics in to share with y'all.

Happy Sunday, everyone!

5 comments:

MaNiC MoMMy™ said...

Thank you for sharing some of your interesting stories with me on Manic Mom. This is fun for me because now I am finding new and interesting blogs to check out as well!

Where you live sounds absolutely beautiful, and the perfect cappucino---heaven!

Staci said...

I'm kind of jealous...I'd love to visit!

LVGurl said...

*sigh* Italy sounds so dreamy.

Andrew is flying to Valencia, Spain on Tuesday. He visits Paris and Spain often for work. Exciting stuff like badgering stone quarry owners into speeding up to American standards of timeliness. Hence, why he returns often.

Tracie P. said...

hey angelisa, thanks for the plug :) anyway, everyone needs to vent, especially those of us living in southern italy. we get plenty of venting material...and with your hormones and all, i can just imagine that your last nerve is being ridden by the buracracy (sp?).

congratulations on your cop visit, and isn't pesante a lovely word?

Angelisa said...

manic mom - thanks for visiting! i love your idea for that post. i will definetly tell people to visit it and post their stories.

brynne - c'mon over!

lvgurl - wow, that must be fun for andrew. too bad you can't jump on one of his flights and then, of course, jump on another short one and come visit me! ok, i know, i know, you've got 2 little ones under 3, but a girl can dream, can't she? :-)

tracie b. - yes, pesante is such a great word - speaks volumes!